Thursday, December 22, 2011

I just did the very thing that illustrates to me that internalized hatred is alive and well!  We definitely internalize the things we hear and sometimes, even, believe that it is okay to repeat them.  I saw a picture of a buffalo in an online support group - totally benign thing.  But I immediately thought of a fat joke - and a racist joke - the minute the picture came up.  AND, I told it!  What in the world is wrong with me?  I know exactly what is wrong with me - we have been taught that saying negative things about fat people and people of color is FUNNY!  IT IS NOT!  Not in any way - differences are not funny.  They have no value at all - they just exist.  Difference is not deficient!  I must remember this!  We all must remember this!

No comments:

Post a Comment